Wednesday 27 January 2016

Bursting The Westminster Bubble

Westminster Palace, the home of both the House of Commons and House of Lords, is in a shocking state of repair. It is estimated that it will take £3.5 billion to sort the place out and stop it falling down around the ears of the MPs, but only if they move out for 6 years.

There’s a metaphor in there somewhere.

However, I’m all about turning frowns upside down and looking on the bright side. This enforced exile from the hallowed halls of Westminster should be seen as an opportunity. And that is why I have started a petition requesting that whilst Westminster Palace has the builders in, parliament goes on tour.

I think the whole shebang should decamp to somewhere else. I don’t care where; Dorset, Birmingham, Liverpool, Bradford, Swansea, Inverness or the Isle of Man. I just think it’s time that the Westminster Bubble floated somewhere else.

I want our out-of-touch, self-obsessed, insular politicians to experience a city that is less well funded than London. I want them to go somewhere with a different infrastructure, cultural landscape and way of life. I want our politicians to try and understand the day to day lives the people living and working outside London.

My fantasy would be for the whole lot of them to spend 6 years in a Travelodge, halfway up the M1 whilst they hold their debates in a conference room with limited wifi. I want to take away their subsidised bars and restaurants and let them get their queue for their lunches in a mini-Tesco or Subway. I want them to get to work on a crowded Abello train or a steamy bus on a rainy day.

It’s not going to happen, but let’s make them at least talk about it.

Please sign the petition and share it with your like-minded friends HERE. 


4 comments:

  1. Where do I sign. Great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a nice information, if you are looking for best TV service center in Hyderabad . Here are the contact numbers. They offer the best service it's my personal experience.
    contact 9393538580

    ReplyDelete